Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Do the Hokey Pokey and on Tuesday, TURN IT OUT!

[Read and Green]
Last week I showed you
how I am using toilet paper rolls
to make flowers.
Did you know when you plant cardboard flowers they spread all over the place?
Oh yeah. Plant a couple and they just start popping up everywhere!!
We decided to do a mural of these babies over Brae's desk, window, and onto the wall where her bed sits.

In the center of each flower is a magazine button.
I made these by rolling strips of magazine pages.
To make a magazine button:
  1. Cut a magazine page into thirds lengthwise. This gives you 3 (somewhat) even strips.
  2. Take a strip and begin folding diagonally at the corner.
  3. Fold until you have a long thin strip or quill.
  4. Roll the quill tightly until you have what will look like a snail shell.
    5. Use a dot of hot glue to hold the end in place. and there you have it. A magazine button.

My Tuesday creation is what I like to call,

Read and Green.

Get it? Cheesy? I know....what're ya gonna do?!
I took the magazine buttons and glued them to a 75 cent plastic ornament.

I am lunch blogging and don't have a lot of time to give an illustrated tutorial. I learned how to roll the strips from a book called the Big A** Book of Crafts by Mark Montano. The book gives lots of other ideas for recycling things into reclaimed treasures.
~Check it out!~
I would love to see what you are working on.
PoSt a LiNk to your blog in comments. i would love to follow ya!
Happy Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment